Movie News: Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

So here I am bloghopping and visiting some of my favorite peeps when I see quite possibly the craziest, coolest, and creepiest news EVAR!

Many of us are familiar with Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark by Alvin Schwartz. 


While I'm normally a big chicken and not a fan of scary movies, I can't help but SQUEAL at this news.  I adored these books as a kid in middle school!  I'm sure my parents just shook their heads at me and wondered what was wrong with their child but I didn't care.  The stories were creepy and the illustrations were horrifying and I loved them!

Well... *drum roll please*

According to Deadline, CBS Films has won a bidding war to adapt these, the most terrifying of children’s horror anthologies. The pair behind the adaptation are Saw writers Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan so know that shit is about to get real!

From Deadline:
CBS Films has sprung for a pitch from Saw writers Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to adapt Alvin Scwartz’s classic spooky tale collection Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I’m told it was a competitive bidding for the project, which will see Melton and Dunstan adapt some of the Scary short stories into a screenplay about a group of outcast kids who stand up to their fears to save their town when nightmares come to life. Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of Sean Daniel Company and Elizabeth Grave of 1212 Entertainment will produce, with Roberto Grande and Joshua Long exec producing. 1212 initially optioned rights before teaming up with Melton and Dunstan, who are repped by WME and Trevor Engelson at Underground. VP Mark Ross and Creative Executive Alex Ginno are overseeing the project for CBS Films.
Schwartz collected the Scary Stories tales from folklore and urban legend. The three-book children’s series, which has sold more than 7 million copies worldwide, began with 1981′s Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark and continued with More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark (1984) and Scary Stories 3: More Tales To Chill Your Bones (1991)

YOU GUYS, I CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW! 
In Mary's (from Mary Had A Little Book Blog) words, "I didn't even know I wanted this to happen". This NEVER crossed my mind and now, it may possibly be the greatest thing to ever happen! Would it be weird if I did a little jig in my office right now?!

Thanks to my homegirl, Amber from Me, My Shelf & I for bring this most awesome news to our attention :D


2 comments:

  1. Oh that is too cool! I loved these books, and still do because my brothers kids have recently discovered the first book. I'm with you, I didn't know that I wanted this to happen but now I am flipping excited!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs The Artists' Faeries Lovely Papers by Lorie Davison