Armchair BEA: Beyond the Blog


 Today's Topic: "Beyond the Blog"
Has blogging opened up opportunities for you beyond getting free, advance copies of new books? Has it helped you get offers to write or review elsewhere (maybe even for pay)? Have you gotten invites to special events or places you might not have been to otherwise? Today, we’d like you to talk about those opportunities in you own posts.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love words! I have always had a passion for the English language and grammar.  Nerd, you say?  Why yes, and proud of it ;)  After I graduated with my AA, I wanted to continue and get my BA but I struggled with what to pursue.  My mom, knowing that I had a knack for writing encouraged me to go into Journalism.  I enrolled into FIU's Print Journalism program and I loved every minute of it.  Life got a wee-bit complicated and I wasn't able to complete my degree.  Then in 2009, we launched our blog and within a year, it hit me...my calling...what I should have been pursuing all along.

Writing?  Negatory!
I've never wanted to actually be a writer.  
Bottom line, I'm simply not clever enough and I am okay with that because what I truly love it editing!  I am constantly editing books while I read them.  Not because I'm critical but because I'm always trying to find a better way to say something or to make it as close to perfect as possible. 

Having a blog has helped me discover my passion!
My new goal in life is to go back to FIU (I really did love it there) and finish what I started.  From there, I am more than willing to move to NYC [insert cheesy grin] if it means finally doing what I love and what I think I'm best at.

Having a blog has also helped us with exposure!
I'm not talking about become famed bloggers...althoughhhh =P
I'm talking about learning more and becoming a part of this incredible WORLD of BOOKS!  We've made some really awesome friendships (see yesterday's networking post), have met some rockstar authors who are real and funny and kind, gotten TONS of books that we probably wouldn't have known about otherwise and hopefully we can add going to conventions to this list one day!

Beyond that, I am happy with not monetizing our blog.  That's not to say that a little extra pocket change would be unwelcome, but I don't want this to become a business.  I don't want to add MORE work to what's already a lot of responsibility.  Maybe one day we'll add some ads or toy with the idea some more, but for now...I think our blog is great as it is!

15 comments:

  1. I think your blog is great as it is too! I certainly would not be mad at you if you did decide to monetize one day. These blogs are a lot of work!!

    I think it is awesome that you are planning to go back to school! I really want to go back also. I finished all but 2 science classes towards my Associates degree and I always regretted not finishing at least that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isa, you should totally do it! Go back and get that degree and pursue your passion. I've done freelance editing in the past (and have some projects in the works in the coming months), and I found it very rewarding and exciting. I love helping other writers. Kudos to you! *High fives*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on going back to school! I'm headed back to Grad School this fall and I am completely nervous and excited and thinking "why didn't I do this sooner?"!

    Are you aware of mediabistro.com? They have some great online courses and certificates that might also help you get where you want to go... just and idea! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I truly hope you get back to school soon. I want you to fulfill your destiny as the hottest, most awesomely entertaining and passionate grammar nazi I've ever known. :D *huggles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always laugh to myself about how I used to complain about school and couldn't wait until it was over since now I wish I could go back. Very sad. I'm glad you have a goal in mind. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My school counselor encouraged me NOT to major in English (though I wanted to) and instead I ended up in physics and astronomy. Loved that too :) I love to do some editing while I read too - glad you found your true passion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great you found a passion in editing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Word nerds unite!

    I loved journalism when I was still pursuing it, but then I got made senior editor on my school paper and I realized that is what I wanted to spend my life doing. Going out and having to put myself in strange situations for stories (my grandmother was a reporter and she came home high as a kite after reporting on the burning of a marijuana field)? No thanks. Editing someone else's work to make it the best it can be? Definitely!

    I start college in the fall and my intended major is English (possible with a double major or minor in Communications) so I can become a professional editor. I hope you can get back into FIU like you want to.

    Wow, I babbled a bit, didn't I? Oh well. Your post gave me a lot to say because it looks like we're a little bit similar.

    -Ashleigh at The Screaming Nitpicker

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful Isa! *high five* What does the hubs think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad that you found what you are supposed to do! good luck with all your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on going back to school! Your blog is GREAT just the way it is but change isn't bad either!

    ~Kailia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for finding your passion. Blogging has inadvertently helped me too. I needed to be able to get all the books I read and there are so many that buying them all was not an option. So I started going to the library weekly. And it sounds strange at mid-life but I really want to go back to school and be a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog! Glad to see you're in on this ArmchairBEA challenge so more readers can find you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great point about not making your blog into a business. :) I'm not sure if monetizing would necessarily do that, but it definitely does make it more businesslike. I'm also glad that blogging helped you realize that you wanted to be an editor! That's so awesome! :D

    Thanks for sharing! :D
    Ambur
    My Armchair BEA Beyond the Blog Post

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs The Artists' Faeries Lovely Papers by Lorie Davison