Question of the Day 4.13.13

I brought the Plinky Question of the Day feature over to Book Soulmates because it was one of my favorite posts to create.  It's a great way to get to know you guys better and vice versa.  Sometimes the questions will deal with books or reading but, most of the time they won’t.  Because, let’s face it, there’s more to us than what we read.
Tell us about a sensation — a taste, a smell, a piece of music — that transports you back to childhood.
The second I saw this question I knew I had to use it for QotD.  Smells and music always trigger memories for me.  Most of the time they're good and sometimes they're not so good.  I suppose that's the nature of memories, right?  There's a smell and a piece of music that always take me back to Grandma's house.  The first is the smell of gardenias and jasmine.


She had both growing in the backyard and when the flowers started to bloom the backyard would smell downright magical.  Like fairies lived back there or something.  They didn't.  I know this because I searched high and low.  What?!  I was a kid with a lively imagination.  If I wasn't tracking fairies I was looking for buried treasure a la The Goonies.  *ahem*  Anywhoozle, the piece of music that also takes me back to Abuela's house (that's Spanish for Grandma) is Guantanamera by Celia Cruz.  Take a listen...


Abuela was musically inclined and could play the piano and the guitar.  We had this little starter guitar at her house and she would pick it up every now and again and start to sing this song.  It was quite soothing.  So when life starts to get hectic and I feel like stabbing a fool in the jugular I put this song on and this crazy sense of calm washes over me.  It's been four years since she left us but every time I encounter either of these things (and numerous others) I feel like she's still right there next to me....hunting fairies with me or strumming on her guitar.

Your turn party people.  What sensations transport you back to your childhood?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs The Artists' Faeries Lovely Papers by Lorie Davison