Every week, we'll announce a new recipient for our BLOG SOULMATE AWARD! This is our way of helping spread the word about these awesome bloggers we love!
Our BLOG SOULMATE Award for this week goes to:
Amanda from . . .
|Blogging since May 2011|
- What made you decide to start blogging?
My decision to start book blogging dates back to 2009 when I was blogging about my 101 in 1001 list (101 goals in 1,001 days). Through blogging about my list, I met a few awesome people (who I still talk to today). Two of those people decided to branch out into book blogging (25 Hour Books and And the plot thickens...). After seeing their book blogs, I had total blog envy and wanted to start my own, too. I've always loved reading and blogging, so it seemed natural to combine the two things. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of grad school at the time, and I had very little time to read, let alone blog about it.
Tara (of 25 Hour Books) was kind enough to let me write book reviews for her blog when I was on breaks from school, and it was a great introduction to book blogging. I started making plans to start my own blog. I decided that once I had completed my thesis defense I should have enough time to devote to blogging (even though I hadn't officially completed my degree) and that's when On a Book Bender was born.
- Favorite and least favorite things about blogging
My favorite thing about book blogging by FAR is the book blogging community. I don't have enough words to tell you how much the book blogging community means to me, or how much they've influenced my life over the past year.
My least favorite thing about blogging is that it's incredibly time consuming. I'm good at organizing and planning ahead, but the time it takes to write reviews, read books, and comment on other blogs is often exhausting.
- If you could hang out with ONE author, who would it be and why?
I would probably have to hang out with Maureen Johnson. She's incredibly funny and I am pretty sure she would instigate seriously awesome shenanigans.
- What is the ONE book you tell everyone they 'have to' read?
Despite being labeled a #bookbully, there will never be one book that I will tell EVERYONE to read. Everyone likes different books, and I'm more the type to recommend books based on what that person has enjoyed in the past. I do have a tendency to recommend books I personally liked, though.
- Do you have any bookish guilty pleasures?
I absolutely adore characters who have deep, dark pasts that cause them to be all sorts of messed up. Well, it's not that I love that they are messed up, but I love reading about their journey to find peace and/or love. There is something incredible in the way they overcome their own personal demons. Some examples include Will Trent from Karin Slaughter's Georgia series or Zsadist from J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series.
- I love grammar. I love it so much I started a copy-editing business.
- I used to hate coffee. Now I can't function without it.
- I'm addicted to Twitter in the worst way. Anyone who follows me (and the people I talk to on a regular basis) knows this.
- I watch A LOT of true crime shows. I often keep the Investigation Discovery channel on at night when I'm sleeping. It doesn't bother me.
- I'm left handed. I love it, but living in a right handed world is often tough.