Our BLOG SOULMATE Award for this week goes to: M. R. Merrick and his BLOG
M.R. Merrick is a Canadian writer, and author of Exiled, the first installment in The Protector Series.
Having never traveled, he adventures to far off lands through his imagination and in between cups of coffee. As a music lover and proud breakfast enthusiast, he's usually found at the computer, between a pair of headphones and in front of a large bowl of cereal.
Find him on:
Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
- What made you decide to start blogging?
When I first started writing, I wanted to record my journey. My attempt to become a published author. I didn't want a writing advice blog because I felt like too many young writers were giving advice, and weren't necessarily qualified to do so. So instead, I wanted to record my journey, and help others see what worked for me. Maybe even learn from mistakes I was making. Once I opted to self-publish, it became a platform. A way to reach my potential audience, and have readers keep in contact with me. I try to post updates about my books and my writing, but mostly I just try to put a smile on someone's face.
- Favorite and least favorite things about blogging?
I feel like if I don't do it regularly, I'm letting people down. LOL. That probably sounds ridiculous, but it's true. I don't post every day. Sometimes I don't post for weeks. Mostly because I don't want to post, just for the sake of it. I used to try to keep up with Monday - Friday posts, but with writing, interviews, guest posts, publishing, a family, and a full-time job, it just wasn't feasible.
- If you could hang out with ONE author, who would it be and why?
J.K. Rowling. It's not because she's a bestselling author, although I may never had heard of her if Harry Potter hadn't exploded. It's because I love the voice she gave to her stories, and her world building which I find to be incredible. More so than all of that though, I think *her* story is amazing. I'd love to just have a lunch with her and chat.
- What is the ONE book you tell everyone they 'have to' read?
I think I've told everybody I know to read Memoirs Aren't Fairytales by Marni Mann. It's not a YA story and it was totally different than anything I'd ever read. It's a story about addiction. It's dark, gritty, and it touched my soul in so many ways. Maybe because I've had addicts in my life? I'm not sure. Something about the main characters voice just captured me, and it sucked me in.
Also, The Giver. I need to read that book again myself. I was forced to read it in school, and I loved it. It was the first book that really captivated me.
- Do you have any bookish guilty pleasures?
I judge a book by it's cover. Literally. I'll look at an entire shelf of books, and only pick up and read the jacket of the ones with covers that catch my eye.
- I eat cereal far too often, and out of a huge salad bowl. Truthfully, if I didn't have kids that I needed to feed healthy meals to, I'd eat it more often.
- I have no problem watching a movie I love over and over again. Like...all the time.
- I listen to music non-stop. My iPod is on 8 hours a day at work, my computer blares the tunes when I'm at home working, and I listen to music to fall asleep.
- I love dogs more than cats. Don't ask why, I don't want to start some "Dogs Rule & Cat's Drool" war. Although if there was, dogs would win. Just saying...
- I know all the words to the music in Labyrinth. "Dance Magic, Dance Magic Dance!" *Ahem*...sorry.